National Preservation Month Highlights: Cleveland's Howard M. Metzenbaum U.S. Courthouse
In 1903, Cleveland officials proposed a group plan that local and federal government buildings be placed around a grand mall. On May 20, 1905, the cornerstone for the first building erected under this plan, the federal building and U.S. courthouse, was laid. Today known as the Howard M. Metzenbaum U.S. Courthouse, the building remains a monumental anchor to Cleveland's civic mall. To learn more and watch an award-winning documentary about the building, click here. Contact: Sarah Garner, 202-219-0821.